dinsdag 2 februari 2010

PostHeaderIcon Manga Review: Fool's Gold Volume 1

*insert themesong here*
Hello ladies and gentleman, todays episode of manga review will be about: Fools gold volume 1.
Okay, let's stop the tv-show thingy right now.
Fools gold is an original English Manga by Amy Reeder Hadley. I know the titel sounds kind of lame, at that is why I didn't buy this book the moment I saw it. I never even thought of buying it. But when I got home I read this folder about the book and it sounded interesting:
Come on, we all know the truth - most girls are fatally drawn to obnoxious, jerky boys. Upon discovering this harsh reality, Penny forms an underground club to identify these boneheads and cure her girl friends of their addiction to them! But her plan backfires when she is falsely accused of dating the enemy. And it doesn't help that she's falling in love with him!
Because I read that, and thought it sounded interesting, I bought this first volume. Now for my review:

Art:2/20
I know the art is relatively good, but when I read a manga I want it too look like a manga. I think Fool's gold looks to much like an american comic, which it is. I don't like it, since I never really liked american comics. Therefore I only rate it a 2/20

Story:7/30
Even though I really like the concept of the story, there isns't very much that happens in this manga, and everything that does happen seems unlikely, never going to happen. I read fantasy without any problem imagining it, but this just didn;t seem right, at all. Therefore 7/30.

Characters:3/25
The characters are shallow. They don't have that much of a personality, and why people do things is never clear. It might get better in the next volume, but since there is only one other volume I don't think it can get that much better. Everyone in the manga seems to adore Penny, thing she's awesome, but she really isn't, and doesn't really do anything awesome.

Enjoyment:15/25
Even though it wasn't really that much of a manga, I enjoyed reading it. Especially the introduction of Blake halfway trought made up for a great deal of the irritation of the first half. Look, I know I love bad-boys, and that's why this seemes the right manga for me, but it didn't make it's potential come true.

Make me Cry bonus:0/10
This is my bonus section which a manga can get either 0 (didn't make me cry) 5 (made me feel sad) or 10 (made me cry) points. I always reason if a manga can make me cry, the story is credible and the characters are great, so it deserves a bonus. But this manga didn't make me cry so 0 points.

Verdict:27/100
This isn't a very strong manga, like the verdict suggest. Still, it's quite enjoyable, so don't hesitate to read it, no matter what I say!

0 reacties:

Een reactie posten

Zoeken in deze blog

Volgers